Home

Articles

Chemical Examiners Laboratories were established in India to render independent scientific service to Criminal Justice Administrative System.  The first Chemical Examiner’s Laboratory in India came into existence in Madras in the Year 1849. Chemical Examiner’s Laboratory in Kerala started functioning  in the year 1890  under the orders of Government as part of Health Department. The  Chemical Examiners Laboratory was  brought under Home Department as an independent department from June,1969 vide GO(MS)188/Home dated 13th June 1969 and continuing as such.  It was started as a single Laboratory in Thiruvananthapuram. Later  to meet steady increase in the volume of work and to ensure speedy disposal of chemico-legal work, Regional Chemical Examiners Laboratories were established in Kozhikode and Ernakulam in the years 1986 and 1989 respectively. Chemical Examiners Laboratory Department is headed by Chief Chemical Examiner  at Thiruvananthapuram and he is assisted by two Joint Chemical Examiners.  Each Regional Chemical Examiner’s Laboratory is headed by Joint Chemical Examiner.  The various divisions in the headquarters and regional laboratories are under the charge of  Assistant Chemical Examiners.   Chief Chemical Examiner,  Joint Chemical Examiner and Assistant Chemical Examiner to Govt: are Government Scientific experts u/s 293 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 and their reports are admissible as evidence in the court of law for the prosecution of criminal cases.   The laboratories under this departments are functioning as per the Kerala Chemico-Legal Examination Rules-1959 (G.O. Ms.No.624/Home dated, Trivandrum, 18th August 1959) and Section 293 of Cr.P.C